Friday 23 January 2015

Drugstore Vs. High End - Eyeshadow Primers


Left to Right: Avon Eyeshadow Primer, Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer

Before Christmas, I purchased the Smashbox Primers Try Me Set. I have never used any Smashbox products before but I have been wanting to try them so I thought buying the set would be a good place to start, as I have heard Smashbox are well known for their primers.

The Smashbox Primers Try Me Kit contained sample sizes of Photo Finish Foundation Primer, Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer and Photo Finish Lid Primer.

At a similar time I ordered the Avon Eyeshadow Primer, but because I was more excited to try the Smashbox Primer, I used that one first. I was slightly disappointed as the formula seemed dry and my eyeshadow still creased, not even lasting the working day. After a few weeks of use I decided to start using the Avon Eyeshadow Primer to see if that was any better. The texture of this was smooth and it felt "tacky" when applied to the lid, similar to the feeling of eyelash glue. This meant that the eyeshadow stays all day without creasing. I probably take my make up off about 15 hours after applying it, and with this eyeshadow primer, there is little to no creasing.


Top - Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
Bottom - Avon Eyeshadow Primer

The Smashbox primer retails at £15 whilst the Avon primer is priced at £7, but a lot of the time this is on offer, I think when I purchased it, it was on offer for £4. Personally, I doubt I would re purchase the primer by Smashbox but I would re purchase the Avon primer.

Please let me know if you would like to see any more Drugstore Vs. High End posts

No comments: